Do you want all the information about bank accounts? At Responsible Economy, we’ve written an article about everything you need to know about bank accounts: the types that exist, main features, major banks, and everything else you should be aware of. Let’s get started!
Types of Bank Accounts
There are 3 different types of bank accounts that we’ll show you:
- Chequing Account: This is the most common account for daily transactions. It allows holders to withdraw and deposit money with ease, and typically comes with a debit card.
- Savings Account: Designed to aid individuals in saving, these accounts tend to offer higher interest rates than chequing accounts and might have limitations on the number of transactions.
- Investment Account: For those interested in diving into the stock market or other investment vehicles.
Major Banks in Canada
The Big Five banks in Canada are:
- Royal Bank of Canada (RBC)
- Toronto-Dominion Bank (TD Canada Trust)
- Bank of Nova Scotia (Scotiabank)
- Bank of Montreal (BMO)
- Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC)
Features to Consider When Choosing an Account
- Interest Rates: It’s essential to compare the rates offered by different banks, especially if you’re looking into a savings account.
- Fees: Some banks might charge fees for additional transactions or for not maintaining a minimum balance.
- Accessibility: Consider the locations of branches and ATMs as well as the quality of their online and mobile banking services.
Tips for Foreigners
If you’re new to Canada, many banks offer special banking packages for immigrants which might include fee-free accounts for a limited time.
Canada provides diverse banking options catering to a range of needs. It’s crucial to research and compare different banks and products to find the best fit for your financial situation.
We hope this guide has given you an overview of bank accounts in Canada. Always remember to consult directly with the banks or a financial advisor for detailed and up-to-date information.
Actualizado el día 30 August, 2023 por Alfredo Barandiarán